Find a comfortable place to sit or stand to watch an incredible art piece be painted on screen. Let your thoughts and emotions be moved by what you see.
2 The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned.…
6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever
Isaiah 9: 2 and 6-7
As you watch the art unfold in the video, what people and stories from the Bible do you recognise?
How does the big story of the Bible point to Jesus?
Can you connect with the longing for the coming of Jesus, the Messiah, that people have felt throughout the ages?
The birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus was hinted at and foreshadowed and prophesied all through the Old Testament. Jesus was the fulfilment of God’s plan to rescue and redeem his people, to widen the family of God beyond the Jewish people and to bring about the new creation of Heaven and Earth under the lordship of the King of Kings.
In Advent, we reflect on and are shaped by two comings that mirror one another.
First, Israel’s anticipation of the coming of the Messiah, the long promised and prophesied saviour, who we now know is Jesus Christ.
Second, the church’s anticipation of the future return of Jesus, the one who will wipe away every tear, who will once and for all destroy sin and evil and even death itself, and bring restoration and renewal in the resurrection of all things where we and all God’s people and the creation will be made new and whole.
So as we wait and we long. We wait – for Christmas, for the birth of Christ and for the final coming again of Jesus as King. And we long – for salvation, for redemption, for resurrection, for wholeness. The waiting and the longing makes room in us for Emmanuel, God with us to dwell. Advent prepares him room.
- Christmas Tree Station – Location: Hub
- Scents Station – Location: Auditorium front left
- Floating Candles Station – Location: Entrance foyer
- Wise Men Gifts Station – Location: Auditorium at back
- Communion Station – Location: Auditorium front right
- Manger Station – Location: Auditorium front left corner
- Gift Station (Candy canes) – Location: Auditorium back corner
- Blessing Station – Location: foyer
- Song Station – Location: Kowhai room
- Art Station – Location: Rimu room
- Starry Skies Station – Location: Auditorium stage
- Story Stations – Location: Hub