Find a comfortable place to sit or stand to listen to the song Mary Did You Know. Try to imagine what it was like to be Mary, the mother of Jesus. If you want, be still and close your eyes. Or feel free to move around and use your body to respond in whatever way you feel – dance, move, stretch, worship, bow, lie down.
Luke 1: 46-55
Mary’s Song of Praise: The Magnificat
And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.
And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts;
he has brought down the mighty from their thrones
and exalted those of humble estate;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
as he spoke to our fathers,
to Abraham and to his offspring forever.”
As you listen, try to imagine yourself in Mary’s shoes. What would you have found hard? What would have amazed you?
How can you respond like Mary to the call of God on your life?
Imagine what it would have been like to be Mary:
to be visited by the angel Gabriel with the impossible news,
to have her life completely upended,
to have a baby grow inside her who was destined to be the Saviour of the world,
to go through the difficulty of that unusual pregnancy and birth
to have to escape her homeland and live as a refugee in Egypt
to watch as her son took up his role of Messiah
to see the prophecies of old fulfilled in her son
to know in advance that her son would die but that he would also be the King who would reign forever.
Mary’s response to Gabriel was “I am the servant of the Lord. May everything you have said to me be fulfilled”. What question is God asking of you that He wants you to respond “I am the servant of the Lord”?
- Christmas Tree Station – Location: Hub
- Scents Station – Location: Auditorium front left
- Floating Candles Station – Location: Entrance foyer
- Wise Men Gifts Station – Location: Auditorium at back
- Communion Station – Location: Auditorium front right
- Manger Station – Location: Auditorium front left corner
- Gift Station (Candy canes) – Location: Auditorium back corner
- Blessing Station – Location: foyer
- Song Station – Location: Kowhai room
- Art Station – Location: Rimu room
- Starry Skies Station – Location: Auditorium stage
- Story Stations – Location: Hub