Experience some of the smells of Christmas by smelling these candles. What do they smell like to you? What do they remind you of?
Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. Ephesians 5:1-2
Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice! Psalms 141:2
Did you know that God delights in the “smell” of something offered to him? Whether that be your money or time or effort or preferences or dreams or values or heart or mind or whole life. Our prayers and worship and thanksgiving are like pleasing fragrances rising up to God. What might God be calling you to offer to him this season?
Throughout the Bible, the prayers and surrender of the people of God are likened to the sweet fragrances or pleasing aromas.
In Old Testament times, offerings were sacrificed upon an altar and, as the fire consumed it, there was a noticeable smell or aroma. On sixteen different occasions in the book of Leviticus, an “aroma” is mentioned as something pleasing to the Lord. The different offerings or sacrifices that the Jewish people were instructed to make were for different purposes: some for the atonement of sin; some for thanksgiving; some for worship; some for dedicating the fruit of their work.
After Jesus’ birth, death and resurrection, the New Testament teaches that Jesus is the final sacrifice for sin, and was the only One who could provide the eternally pleasing sacrifice. We are also taught that our prayers, our giving, our sharing the gospel are a fragrant offering to God, something that pleases Him and is accepted by Him.
Reflect on how your life is a beautifully smelling offering to God. What is God calling you to sacrifice or offer to him?
- Christmas Tree Station – Location: Hub
- Scents Station – Location: Auditorium front left
- Floating Candles Station – Location: Entrance foyer
- Wise Men Gifts Station – Location: Auditorium at back
- Communion Station – Location: Auditorium front right
- Manger Station – Location: Auditorium front left corner
- Gift Station (Candy canes) – Location: Auditorium back corner
- Blessing Station – Location: foyer
- Song Station – Location: Kowhai room
- Art Station – Location: Rimu room
- Starry Skies Station – Location: Auditorium stage
- Story Stations – Location: Hub